Sewing Box Organization

11 May 2015

I found this sewing box on a recent trip to a Jo-Ann store, and couldn't wait to fill it with my sewing supplies! I've always been interested in sewing, doing the occasional project, and collecting cute notions and fabrics. However, until I got this sewing box, my supplies were kept in a rubbermaid tub in our basement - not cute or convenient! This box in particular had my name on it - I love fashion illustration, especially the images on vintage patterns like the ones on the fabric of this box. 

I'm not going to go through everything I've decided to keep in my sewing box, but I thought I'd share what I consider my sewing essentials. In the pockets on the lid of the box, I just have some snaps and a set of needles. 
 This top tray is very useful for tools that I use often or like to keep handy during a project: 
  • Needles
  • Pins & Pin Cushion
  • Seam Ripper
  • Measuring Tape
  • Washable Marker & Sewing Chalk (for marking fabric)
  • Needle Threaders
  •  Buttons
  • Scissors (for thread, though I still need a nice pair for fabric/ribbon)


I also have some permanent fabric pastels and a tool for fixing sweater snags, but I wouldn't consider those essential.
 In the main compartment, I keep...
  • Thread - on Spools and Bobbins
  • Safety Pins
  • Fabric
  • Snaps - Pieces and a Snap Setter
  • Zippers
I love organizing solutions that are stylish and functional. Having all my supplies organized and handy makes me excited for my next sewing project! 

XOXO

4 comments:

  1. Very cool idea! My mom used to sew a lot but I haven't seen a sewing box in YEARS! I love the way that this is so thoughtfully organized! It would also be a cool way to find a home for all those tiny office supplies like paper clips, staples, etc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sewing definitely seems to be a dying art... But I love simple projects, like making my own cosmetic/pencil pouches :) And good idea - It would be a great place for office supplies!

      Delete
  2. Here from I Heart Organizing.
    I need one of these! I had a teeny tiny one, and got rid of it. Nothing fit in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I saw sewing boxes of all sizes when I was shopping for mine - I guess the tiny ones might be okay for the bare necessities, but what's the fun in that?! I've got to have space for buttons, trim, zippers... :)

      Delete